Tuesday 24 May 2011

A Proud To Be English Day


Firstly, I make no apologies for the amount of photo's in todays post and therefore the length of it.  I could have put many more on here to try and get across the day, but I had to limit myself!!

So .......



It was certainly a day to be very proud to be British.  My town gave the Freedom Of The Town to the Scots Guards on Saturday and this was celebrated with them coming and matching through the town and receiving the honor in the center and then a party in the local park .......... and it was A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.  Really, it was!!



As we stood amongst the crowd waiting for the parade, I got a huge lump in my throat and I just knew that I was going to cry.  I'm a very emotional gal I tell you.  The smallest thing makes me cry and certainly big things like this, but I didn't care.



First of all six Guards came and stood in strategic places which we later found out was to mark out where the soldiers turned  ...... very clever!


You could feel the excitement growing and you just knew that everyone was proud and really looking forward to the parade.

And then they arrived with the band playing ......

and the bagpipes playing.  Well, that was me off crying!!  I can't begin to tell you how amazing this sight was, really, I can't.  They looked amazing and I really wasn't prepared for how it would effect me.  Even the hubby admitted to having a lump in his throat.


How do they stay in such straight lines?



I loved their jackets.  The red was so deep and rich.

The noise of them marching gave me goose pimples




I just wish that I was at the end of that line to get a really great picture!!


I couldn't resist a black & white picture, especially with that lovely sky up above.


 The Duke of Kent, their regimental colonel was there to accept the freedom scroll





It was nice to see that some houses had got the flags out as well.


We then went to the local park for a picnic and to listen to the bands.  A little later we had a parachute display to watch.


Can you see them?


This is one of my favorite pictures of the day.  It just sums the day up completely ..... blue skies, proud of our army, proud to be British.

God bless them xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment