Saturday 16 June 2012

How to make ....... Ginger & Chocolate Brownies

I love making brownies, especially when you get them just right and they are lovely and squidgy in the middle and even better if you eat them when they are still warm!
Now, I wouldn't say I have made these too many times, but you can see from the page in the book that they are a firm favourite in our house!


The recipe is in The River Cottage Family Cookbook. It is a REALLY good book and has lots and lots of recipes that we have cooked. I have lots of cook books and sadly many of them are there just make make the place look cluttered pretty. I have all of the Nigella Lawson books and can probably count on one hand how many times I have made something out of them, but I can't say the same for this one, or any OF Jamie Oliver's either. His books are great too and the best one is his 30 Minute Meals.

Anyway, today was a brownie day.

RECIPES
250g Chocolate
200g Unsalted butter
200g Caster sugar
3 Eggs
125g Plain flour
50g Cocoa powder

Pre-heat the oven to 160 deg C



The book does say 100g walnuts, but I've never put them in.

Do you like my book stand.  Duct tape is SO versatile!

I usually make them with milk chocolate (I find dark chocolate too rich) but the last time I made them I didn't have enough, but I did have a bar of Green & Blacks Ginger hanging around and I thought why not give it a go. They were GORGEOUS, especially the little pieces of ginger that you find.




Melt the chocolate and butter.  I do this on a medium-low heat in the microwave.  Keep a close eye on it though as you don't want to heat it too much.


Whisk the eggs and sugar together until they are light and creamy, this only takes a couple of minutes.

When the chocolate and butter mix has melted, pour it into the egg and sugar mixture and stir until it is fully incorporated.







Sift the flour and coca powder into the mixture and fold in with a wooden spoon.









Line a tin with tin foil and put a teeny tiny amount of oil into it and brush around.  Put into the oven.  My oven is a fan oven and it takes 23 minutes to cook.  When you take it out the sides are cooked but the middle is still nice and squidgy.  If you put a knife into it, it will come out with a sticky mixture on it.  Now what ever you do, DO NOT put it back into the oven.  Take the tin out, put it on the side and leave to cool in the tin.  It will carry on cooking whilst cooling and the middle with be lovely and squidgy.



Can you see how damp and squidgy they are.  YUM YUM YUM YUM!!

Please give these a go as they are just gorgeous. 

Happy baking!

Love Marge x

No comments:

Post a Comment