Thursday 1 December 2011

Thursday's Song - Military Wives Choir - Wherever You Are

It's been a while ...... I know, I know, I know.  What can I say!  I wish I could say that I have just been lazy and can't be bothered, but that is so far from the truth.  I have had my head stuck in my accountancy books studying away for the 9 exams I have sat in the last 10 weeks.  I KNOW, 9 exams in 10 weeks, crazy 'eh!!!  Anyway, only one more to sit next week and I am done ....... until March when it kicks off for another year of craziness.  It will be worth it in the end #keeptellingyourselfthatandyoujustmightbelieveit!!!



But hey, I'm here now and wanted to share this song with you.  If you live in England then you will know all about this group of ladies as you can't seem to get away from them .... and a good job too!  For those of you who have never heard of them, I will attempt to fill you in.

There was a three part BBC documentary about a well know Choir Master Gareth Malone, who went to an Army base in Devon and put together a choir made up of the wives of soldiers.  I think all or certainly a majority of the soldiers were away fighting in Afghanistan at the time of filming and he hoped to bring them together by music ...... and boy did he succeed!!!  It was an lovely to see women bond over the weeks and to see how singing brought them together and gave them something to focus on whilst their husbands were away was fantastic.

Now, just a word about Gareth, I think he is just amazing and has such a love and passion for what he does, that you just can't help but be drawn to him.  I think I have a little bit of a crush!!

The last episode was an absolute tear jerker and I cried nearly all the way through it.  What happened ???


  1. Gareth announced to the ladies that they would be singing at The Festival of Remembrance at the Albert Hall (a VERY big deal).  
  2. They had a song composed just for them by Paul Mealor, the man who composed the lovely music for Prince Williams and Kate's wedding.  This was not just any song, but he used all of the letters the wives had sent to and received from their husbands and took bits out of them and composed the song.
  3. Their husbands returned from Afghanistan.
  4. They sang absolutely brilliantly at The Albert Hall.  The icing on the cake was a woman called Samantha who sang the most amazing solo, who at the beginning of the series was so un-confident she wouldn't even attempt to sing on her own.  
As I said, I cried and cried and cried a little more!!  The best news is they are releasing it in time for Christmas and hopefully it will be number one.  The only down side to this is that whenever it comes on the radio in the car I start crying all over again!!  

Anyway, enjoy the video and if you can see any of the documentary online, then please watch in and most importantly ...... DOWNLOAD THE SONG!!

No comments:

Post a Comment